Google
 

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Vipassana Meditation

According to Sharon Salzberg and Joseph Goldstein, authors of “Insight Meditation”, Vipassana Meditation can be traced back to the Buddha, and allegedly he practised Vipassana Meditation (in some form). Later when Buddhism diversified into various schools, the Vipassana Meditation technique persevered, and is today practised (with variation) in all Buddhist traditions. The essence, or focus, of Vipassana Meditation is concentration and mindfulness, enabling us to quiet the constant stream of thoughts and emotions passing through our mind, so that we can be in a state of pure awareness. The end goal is to experience the truth about or lives and our actions, undiluted and without distraction. Most often we’re distracted by both our mind and by the world around us, distorting our perspective and clouding our mental clarity. Vipassana Meditation is an antidote and it’s helped me to gain more mental clarity, and more importantly (to me anyway) more peace of mind. Living where I do, I can’t find many (if any) truly skilled Buddhist meditation masters that can help me. For that I need to travel, but as a supplement I’ve learnt a lot from Sharon Salzberg and Joseph Goldstein’s meditation course “Insight Meditation”. I highly recommend this course.

No comments: