Google
 

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Buddhist studies anyone?

Some time ago, I came across the following website:

http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/buddhist

They offer an online master degree in Buddhism and I was wondering if any of you have some info regarding the course? Normally I would be a bit reluctant to participate in such a program, as there are quite a lot of hoaxes out there.

However, University of Sunderland is a genuine and respected University. Peter Harvey, that leads the online master degree program in Buddhism, is a highly respected scholar. So on face value this seems to be a valid and good education.

By the way, you should check out Peter Harvey's "An Introduction to Buddhism: Teachings, History and Practices". I learnt a great deal from that book, although you should combine your reading with other sources on the subject of Buddhism. Peter Harvey is a scholar that knows his business, and hence his book has rather academic tone throughout.

Turning back to my original question, I was hoping that someone could give me feedback on the online master program. Facts, thoughts, ideas, links, all are welcome.

No comments: